Saturday, June 9, 2012

Newspaper Butterfly

Hello!  Hope your having a terrific Saturday!  It's been a bit of a day of running around with the kids but now I finally finding myself with some time to sit down and craft a bit and it's a good thing because I made it to the Top 15 for Gallery Idol!

Wow I am so happy and excited! So happy to still be part of it!  And beyond thankful for everyone who took the time to vote for me!  ;>    I am very excited for the next round and slightly nervous too!  :>  Chad is so supportive he woke up early and checked the PC blog and came back to bed and told me that I made it!  :>  Love him!  He didn't even blink when I told him I would need to go shopping at my LSS!  Even when I told him I had to go back!  :>

On Thursday a friend and neighbor (well a few streets over) emailed me that she had had surgery on her knee!  We chatted on the phone later for a while and is doing great but still has a road of recovery! She is a stay at home mom too, to a little boy Carter's age!  I wanted to  make her a card letting her know that I was thinking of her:

I used a new stamp Newspaper Butterfly by Hero Arts and couldn't help pair it up with the newspaper background!  I glued the center down flat onto the card but the wings I doubled up on the foam adhesive, for the sentiment panel I put only one foam adhesive on it.  I also whipped up some puffed wheat cake because her son loves it and he is a picky eater, I made it once when we went to her place for a swim and she was so happy he liked it!  :>  



Tied it up some cello, a ribbon and another butterfly!  When I went to drop it off she wasn't home so I left it on her porch!  She called later and thanked me, turns out puffed wheat cake is there favorite!  By the way apparently puffed wheat cake is a Canadian dessert!  Thought I would share my recipe:

Puffed Wheat Cake

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup salted butter (or margarine)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla
9 cups puffed wheat


 Bring to a boil (on med heat) for 1 minute brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and cocoa.  Let boil for 1 minute.  (I usually melt on low and than turn to med to boil) Take off element and add vanilla.  Add puffed wheat and mix until all is coated.  Press into buttered 9 by 12 dish (or smaller if you like)  Cool in fridge till it sets!

Last night on our way to soccer I asked the kids to go in the car while I gathered up what we needed!  All of a sudden I heard shrieks coming from the garage!  I open the door and found Carter hanging off the open garage door!  Ran and got him off!  Of course it would have made a terrific photo but not taking the chance!  I guess what happened is that they were fooling around and Carter just grabbed the door and it kept going and he was too scared to get down.  He was scared and shaking for a while afterwards and I hope he learned his lesson!  We did have a talk about it though!  Wow the adventures of boys...

Well I am off to feed the kids and chase  take them for a walk outside!  :>




13 comments:

Taheerah said...

Great card Anita, I love the colours and all of the newspaper-y stuff is always a hit with me! So happy we both made it through Round 2 - bring on Round 3!!

Barb said...

Ah, yes, the joys of boys! (hee, hee) Glad he wasn't hurt!

Love your beautiful card for your neighbor, Anita! So sweet of you to bring her son a treat too! And you already know how happy I am for you! Congrats again on making top 15!! Good luck in the third round! Hugs! :)

Trinh said...

Woo hoo, Anita! Congrats on making the Top 15 & can't wait to see your next card. I love the butterfly card and you are so thoughtful to make her son the puffed wheat.

jennfontaine said...

Such a lovely card! The colour is so pretty and that butterfly is gorgeous! What a blessing to your neighbour! I love the butterfly on the packaging:)

Carter sure keeps you on your toes! I'm glad he was ok!

Dawn T said...

what a delightful card and gift for your friend. And welcome to the world of adventurous Boys!!!! My boy got into all sorts of mischief and I can see you will have the same with Carter.
Pleased for you with the Idol as well... good luck for the next round. I'll be voting for you!

Virginia L. said...

Congrats on making to the top 15, Anita! So sweet of you to make a treat and card for your neighborly friend! Good luck on the rest of the GI!!

Vicky said...

Congrats! I was sure you would make it to top 15! Your style is amazing, good luck on the next run! GO GO GO!!!
You are such a sweet friend, the card and wheat cake will make her day! Pretty butterflies!

Lindsey said...

Congrats on making it to the top 15, Anita! Looking forward to seeing what you created for the next round. ANd in the meantime, this card and the treat packaging are gorgeous - the blue and sand colours are perfect together.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Congrats on top 15 Anita! Just love the card for your neighbor and your treats sound/look yummy!!

~Tammy~ said...

Anita, you are so sweet and thoughtful! All good things coming to you are well deserved!

I loved your card the minute it popped up on my screen and those treats sound delightful!

I can't wait to see your project tomorrow!

Carol McCready said...

Great projects. Congrats on making into the top 15.

Maureen Morton said...

I'm glad that I never had boys - they would scare me to death! Love this butterfly card - so pretty with great color! You are dear to share your recipe....I eat that cereal, but never thought of cooking with it. Thanks for sharing all you do.

Chris Millar said...

Can't wait to try this recipe Anita, thank you!

 

Crafty Girl Designs | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates